Sunday, 24 April 2016

My Summer Reading List



All I've done for the past few weeks is uni work...and all I'll do for the next few weeks is uni work! I've has no time to sit down with a good book, let alone any desire to do so after reading textbooks all day. However, I will soon be finished and with summer just around the corner I can spend many lazy days sitting in the garden reading in the sunshine.

I'm so excited that I've already planned which books I'll read first! Here are my picks...


Banishment by M. C. Beaton


I really enjoyed M. C. Beaton's Six Sisters collection - light and witty regency novellas that made me laugh out loud (think Jane Austen meets Sophie Kinsella), so I'm hoping that Banishment, the first of the Daughters of Mannerling series, will be just as good. The blurb implies that it will be: promising mansions, lost fortunes and roguish bachelors!

Get it here


Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales


I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but come on! This has to be the prettiest book ever. I've read a couple of Angela Carter's books before and they're always wonderfully unusual. The blurb of this one says it contains fairy tales that aren't for children, with a collection of stories about crafty women, enchantresses and black arts - what's not to love?

Get it here


Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse


Rosanna recommended this to me and, as I trust her book judgement completely, I'm very excited! Rosanna lent me another Lucie Whitehouse book - The House at Midnight - a few years ago which I really enjoyed, so this is sure to be a good'un too. The blurb doesn't give much away simply stating: "Hannah Reilly has seized her chance at happiness. Until the day her husband doesn't come home...Can you ever really know what happened before you met?" I'm hooked already!

Get it here


The Miniturist by Jessie Burton


My mum got me this book for Christmas and I was instantly intrigued by it. I've read the blurb a few times and to be honest I don't really know what it's about (some kind of cross-over between reality and a dolls house? I'm really not sure!) but it promises history, heart-pounding suspense, love and betrayal, so I'm guessing it will make a great summer read :)

Get it here



What will you be reading this summer?

Laura
x

38 comments:

  1. Great post. I like your blog!

    Uniq - new brand with unique spirit
    http://starlingdays.blogspot.com/2016/04/uniq.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela Carter's 'Fairy Tales' is actually amazing!

    Rachel xx
    http://www.thedailyluxe.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela Carters fairy tales is an incredible book! So many stories and the literature is empowering for all feminists alike! I bought it over a year ago and I treat myself to a story every so often because I don't ever want to finish it! Highly recommend it

    Alexis xx
    http://lexxiannespoonful.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds amazing! I'm really looking forward to reading it :)

      Laura x

      Delete
  4. Oooh I've never read any of these, I've just finished Room which I would very highly recommend!
    Amy xx
    Call Me Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard really good things about Room, I'll have to add it to the list!

      Laura x

      Delete
  5. Before we met sounds like my kind of book! let us know how it turns out :D
    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice list !

    http://clothespaper.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to read a lot of good books before but I got so busy during the past few months and even years and I stopped reading. I only got to read books about my course Dentistry! Hahaha. I'm missing a lot. Thanks for the suggestions :)

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA // New Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's so hard when you get busy, hope you get some time off to read soon :)

      Laura x

      Delete
  8. They look like great books. I really need to start reading again. Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really nice!

    ** Join Love, Beauty Bloggers on facebook. A place for beauty and fashion bloggers from all over the world to promote their latest posts!


    INSTAGRAM @BEAUTYEDITER
    BEAUTYEDITER.COM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post! I've heard a lot of good things about 'Before We Met' and I really want to read it too!

    http://thecourtneydiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks great :)
    please follow my blog : YOUNG BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely recommendations.
    http://www.thestylegalaxy.com/2016/04/exaggerate-blue-sleeve.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. That book - "Before we met" - sounds really good ;)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to read it :)

      Laura x

      Delete
  14. This is amazing - papers for uni are good, then you will have holidays and a lot of fun! I love these recommendations! I love books with mansions and lost fortunes :) I also love fairy tales; the miniaturist seems to be great as well! I am reading through my work, translating some pages, but as soon as I can I want to read these books!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we have the same taste in books! Can't wait for the summer :)

      Laura x

      Delete
  15. I've never read any of those! And your sunnies are super cute <3
    The Fancy Cats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun :) I got the sunnies on eBay, very cheap!

      Laura x

      Delete
  16. I haven't heard or read any of these. I'll have to look into them. :)

    Florals&Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am curious about "bfore we met"
    http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com
    instagram.com/grace_njio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like it will be a real page turner!

      Laura x

      Delete
  18. Really nice! Hope get a chance to read my latest post. Have a great day.

    Style For Mankind
    Facebook
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *