Monday, 18 May 2015

Holiday Reads: My Recommendations


Summer is officially on its way and hopefully that means a holiday or two! Even if you're staying at home this year though, it's always nice to sit in the sun with a good book. 

Rosanna and I both love reading and are always swapping our favourite books. Whenever we go away we'll ask one another to recommend a book or two. There's nothing worse than lugging a book on holiday only to find it's a complete dud! 

Here are a few of my favourite books that should guarantee perfect sun lounger reading...





This is the first of six books (The Six Sisters saga). They're short and sweet (perfect size if you're worried about luggage weight!) regency romances with a witty, satirical edge. Each book follows a different sister in the Armitage family as she deals with high society, villains, love, insecurities and a crazy family. If you like Sophie Kinsella and Jane Austen, you'll love these.



If you're after a good, chunky book to last for your whole holiday then look no further. You can loose yourself in this saga of a novel based before, during and after WW2. It follows Judith, a naive girl with little family. It starts when she's in boarding school and follows her life as she grows up and deals with romance, war, loss, high society, friendship and a changing Britain. Rosanna recommended this to me and I couldn't put it down!



If you like Twilight, Harry Potter and The Hunger Games then you're sure to love this too! This book is the first in a wonderful series set in medieval Japan. At their heart they are action/adventures but with plenty of romance, history, fantasy and magic thrown in.



If you haven't read Agatha Christie then why the hell not?! Believe all the hype because it's true, Christie is the true queen of crime and every one of her novels is awesome. They're clever, witty and will always keep you guessing. I chose Death on the Nile for this list for it's holiday setting and storyline. As you lay in the sun, I'm sure you'll be able to picture yourself along side the characters with ease. Other Christie favourites of mine are Why Didn't they ask Evans? and Murder on the Orient Express.



Sophie Kinsella is definitely my favourite chit-lit writer. Her books are funny and clever but easy-read enough to loose yourself in within minutes. The Undomestic Goddess was the first Kinsella book I read and even when I re-read it I still laugh out loud. It's the perfect holiday book.


What is your favourite holiday book?

Laura
x

PS. Shout out to my reflection in the sunglasses!

12 comments:

  1. This post is absolutely wonderful!

    ** I'm inviting you to join Love, Beauty Bloggers on facebook. A place for beauty and fashion bloggers from all over the world to promote their latest posts!


    xoxo;
    BEAUTYEDITER.COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I've never read any of these books save for the Agatha Christie one before but they sound wonderful! I'd love to check out The Six Sisters series; it sounds right up my alley! And also, Across the Nightingale sound like such a lovely series! Favourite holiday book would definitely be Southern classic To Kill A Mockingbird!

    Have a wonderful week, Laura!

    May x • The MaydenBloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment May! I've never read To Kill A Mockingbird and feel bad because it's such a classic - I'll have to make it my next holiday read!

      Have a wonderful week as well,

      Laura x

      Delete
  3. Hi lovely, great recommendations I wish I could read more often but with twi little ones is not so easy, I love reading blogs and I am going to put this books n my wish list. xx
    Have a great day.
    Glamoury Armory Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for the lovely comment, hope you get a chance to put your feet up and enjoy one of the books over summer. I feel I don't have enough time to read so can't imagine how hard it is with 2 little ones! Have a great week!

      Laura x

      Delete
  4. Amazing books! I'll check them out!
    Thanks for shearing!

    Jordina ♡
    —> Fashion Blog: THE SILVER FELINE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Across The Nightingale Floor sounds so cool! And it's set in Japan! I love Harry Potter and the Hunger Games (not so much for Twilight) so I'll definitely check this out! Thanks! <3

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it then I'm sure! Have followed you.

      Laura x

      Delete
  6. awesome! thanks for sharing! :D

    Have a great week!
    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *