Friday, 9 January 2015

Battle Of The Primers!



Up until last year, I hadn't really bothered too much about primers. I had bought a couple of cheap ones and not been too impressed with the results. However, after reading blog review after blog review of hype about different primers, I decided to go for it and buy the products I'd heard the best things about. I've done a bit of a compare and contrast of my favourite four primers. Don't get me wrong, they're all good but read on to find out which one is the best in my opinion...



Clarins Beauty Flash Balm
£29 for 50ml - Get it here





Ease of Application

It sinks into the skin relatively quickly and feels gentle when applying. It's not silky like other primers but once it's applied to your face, skin feels just as smooth. The only problem is you have to apply foundation right away otherwise you don't get the desired effects. Sometimes it's just not worth the stress of manically searching for where your foundation bottle is early in the morning!
6/10

Fragrance

It smells a bit like baby products but it's not unpleasant.
5/10

Feel and Look

Once it's on, you definitely forget that it's there. It does exactly what it says on the tin, brightens and tightens and makes your skin glow.
9/10

Staying Power

I've been using Beauty Flash Balm for about eighteen months now and every time I use it, I do notice that my make up stays on longer and I don't feel the need to reapply it quite so often. I often use it when I know that I have a long and busy day ahead of me as I know that it will do the job.
8/10

Packaging

Classic although slightly bulky. However, I wouldn't be embarrassed if it fell out of my handbag!
7/10

Result

Although this product isn't marketed only as a primer, it really is one of the best out there. It's not the cheapest primer you can buy but for the multitasking it does, it's really worth the money (and a little goes a long way).
Total - 35/50


Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer
£25 for 30ml - Get it here




Ease of Application

This product is quite easy to apply though it sinks in so quickly I forget where I've already applied it (but maybe that's just me being slow in the mornings!).
7/10

Fragrance

Almost no fragrance at all - great!
8/10

Feel and Look

The feel of the primer is amazing, definitely the smoothest and silkiest of all the products however the look isn't great. Don't get me wrong, it's good but not great.
6/10

Staying Power

It does make makeup last longer but not for much longer. It's good for an evening out but not for a whole day.
5/10

Packaging

I really like the packaging of this primer. It's simple but stylish.
8/10

Result

I don't feel like this primer is worth the money. However, I used a sample of this primer last year when I was on holiday and the results were amazing. I think that it works much better in the sun (something which we haven't got too much of at the moment in England!) it mattifies the skin and makes it glow. I would recommend maybe buying a travel sized one instead to try it out and take on trips.
Total - 34/50


Benefit Porefessional Primer
£24.50 for 22ml - Get it here




Ease of Application

Similar to the Clarins Beauty Flash Balm but you don't have to immediately rush for the foundation bottle. Perfect for lazy mornings!
8/10

Fragrance

Not strong but fresh and clean
7/10

Feel and Look

The feel of the primer is great, once it's on, you don't feel that it's there and the look of the primer is the best of the lot. Pores are reduced and my skin looks great.
8/10

Staying Power

Longer lasting than some, though after half a day on the move my foundation and powder needed topping up slightly.
6/10

Packaging

Cute and quirky, I love Benefit packaging!
9/10

Result

This primer definitely lives up to all the online hype. I've only got a travel sized at the moment but it's something which I would buy again in a heartbeat.
Total - 38/50


Laura Mercier Foundation Primer
£29 for 50ml - Get it here




Ease of Application

Fairly easy, the primer takes a while to sink in though.
6/10

Fragrance

Not good! The only thing I can liken it to is those pots of plasticine goo which they used to have at primary school! However, once applied, the smell does go away.
2/10

Feel and Look

The feel is impressive, it's smooth and once applied, I completely forget that it's there. The look is equally as notable, it creates a look which is flawless and timeless.
9/10

Staying Power

Really good, when wearing this primer I only have to top up my powder, never my foundation which I think is quite impressive!
8/10

Packaging

Not very exciting but true and classic to the brand.
7/10

Result

Weird smell aside, the Laura Mercier Foundation Primer is the best all-rounder of the lot and for me, a make up bag staple.
Total - 32/50


Winner - Benefit Porefessional Primer




Which is your favourite primer?

Thanks for reading :)

Rosanna
x

8 comments:

  1. I recently went back to using a sample of the Porefessional primer and forgot how much I loved it! It's the only primer I use where I genuinely think my makeup stays fresher for longer …no shine! I've tried the LM one but I didn't really think it was worth the price, really enjoyed the Smashbox one :) xx

    http://www.rinicawrites.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I've only been using Porefessional Primer for about a month but you're right, no shine! Xx

      Delete
  2. Benefit porefessional is always my go-to primer. I only have sample sizes though so I really need to buy a bigger bottle soon! I also use the Diego Dalla Palma primer, which I really like :) x

    Mapped Out | Fashion, Beauty, Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! Will check it out Xx

      Delete
  3. Very cool products! I use Clarins baume ├ęclair as a base, it's awesome!
    ♥♥♥
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's the one I've used the longest x

      Delete
  4. I really like the Benefit primer as well as the Smashbox, though I did get the full-size Smashbox for about £15 on a flight so it was worth it for me as you need so little it lasts forever! xx

    Magpie Jasmine || Palette Giveaway: Urban Decay, Nars, Charlotte Tilbury, Too Faced

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benefit is my favourite at the moment though I'm quite fickle! Will definitely be using my smashbox primer in spring/summer as that's when it works best on my skin x

      Delete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *